Responsive Web Design is a set of techniques that allow you to create websites adapted to the mobile or hand held devices like iPhone, Galaxy Tab etc. It is a technique that saves both development and maintenance costs for a site, as by using this technique web developers can avoid developing and maintaining several sites that will be compatible with different devices, creating a design adaptable to the user’s screen. This is especially useful today, with the proliferation of all kinds of devices with internet connection: Tablets, phones, notebooks, gaming consoles…
- Reduces development and maintenance costs (with respect to developing several sites)
- Facilitates the publication of content as instead of publishing in several sites, you will only need to publish once.
- Improves user experience as they can use all kinds of devices to browse the website
- The contents do not fit most of the times as the display of the mobile device is not able to show the entire page at once
- The browsing experience is not as good as the experience of browsing the website in any PC
- Many of the tools associated with responsive web design are still in testing stages
Is responsive web design worthless?
No, it is certainly not worthless but it is not a universal panacea. It should not be used indiscriminately for all kinds of websites, but it should be used in only those sites that need to target the mobile users as well. Do you have a blog, and your publications tend to be short? If the answer is yes, then it is highly recommended that you adapt your website for all the devices, and you can avoid the creation of a separate site for such devices while improving the user experience.
Do you have an e-commerce site with long and detailed product tabs? Perhaps it is convenient to choose the most important content, limit the information you show in mobile and create a separate site for these users. This could also be done with adaptable design, hiding the layers you don’t want to show, while making sure that the important information remains intact. Thus, you will be making sure that the users don’t have to waste their bandwidth while trying to visit your website with the help of their mobile device.
Reaching the youth
You must be aware of the fact that the young people these days are very tech savvy and they prefer using their mobile devices for connecting to the internet, instead of their regular desktops or laptops. Thus, in order to reach the youth, you will have to adapt your website for the mobile devices. The youth contribute a lot to most online businesses and it will be a wise decision to use responsive web design for your website development. You will be able to reach a larger audience and will be able to make your brand popular.
These days, many web developers use responsive web design techniques to create websites that are compatible for most, if not all, mobile devices.Google+